A gas mask is a great addition to any preppers kit, but it is not usually one of the first things you go out and buy. There are only a few specific situations in which you would need a gas mask or respirator, for example, a flu pandemic.
Being prepared for SHTF is why we prep, but for some reason, you have not yet invested in a gas mask, you can make your own from a few items around the house.
In this video, Black Scout Survival explains how you can make your own gas mask at home, quite quickly. Of course, it is a lot easier to just go out and buy a gas mask, but in a survival situation, you may find yourself with other people who don’t have access to one, and so making a gas mask may be the only course of action.
Follow the instructions below to learn how to make a gas mask at home.
How to Make a Gas Mask at Home
First off, you will need to gather the supplies you need to make this homemade gas mask.
- Duct tape
- Soda can
- Thick rubber bands
- Cotton pads
- Medical tape
- Activated charcoal
- 2 litre bottle (rinsed out of course and label & lid removed)
How to Make Your Homemade Gas Mask
- Use scissors to cut off the bottom of the 2-liter, right where it starts to curve.
- Cut off about 1/4 of the side of the bottle, down to where it starts to curve toward the top. Round off that end.
- Use medical tape to pad the rough edges you just cut (optional).
- Put duct tape around the bottom and fold it over to pad the rough edges on the bottom.
- Put duct tape down the edges of the section you cut out and fold it over to pad that as well.
- Use scissors to cut multiple breather holes in the bottom of the soda can.
- Cut off the bottom of the can, about two inches from the bottom, creating a small can.
- Put a cotton round in the bottom of the small can.
- Pour a layer of activated charcoal onto the cotton round.
- Put a cotton round on top of the activated charcoal.
- Use duct tape to tape a cotton round to the top of the small can.
- Poke a hole in the center of the cotton round.
- Use that hole to fit your new filter over the 2-liter’s spout.
- Use duct tape to tape the filter to the 2-liter.
- At this point, put the gas mask up to your face and make sure you can breathe through it, otherwise you’ll want to add more holes to the can.
- Break a rubber band. Now poke holes at the two corners near the top of the mask.
- Run the rubber band through one hole and tie a knot, then run the other end of the rubber band through the other hole and tie a knot.
- Put it on and make sure there’s a good seal all the way around.
Hopefully this has explained pretty well how to make a gas mask, but if you need further info, or just don’t understand my steps, check out the video on Black Scout Survival YouTube channel.