A bug out bag is an important part of any preppers kit, and so should be well thought out and planned. Building your bug out bag is one of the most important preparedness steps you can take in order to ensure your families safety during a disaster, which is why we have made the ultimate bug out bag checklist.
Your bug out bag is there to aid you in evacuation at any given time, with just a moments notice. It should contain everything you need for at least 72 hours in a survival situation, and be packed with quality survival items, don’t skimp, save the money and buy quality products, you won’t regret it, saying that though, if you can’t afford high quality, anything is better than nothing.
Related: Prepping on a Budget
Bug Out Bag Checklist
We have broken the bug out bag checklist down into a number of different categories. You should go through each one and make sure your bug out bag is up to scratch and has all the survival gear you will need for a bug out situation.
Remember to keep in mind that a good, well designed bug out bag should be no heavier than 25% of your own body weight, assuming that you are in average shape, and not over weight. If you bag is any heavier, that will make carrying it a hassle, and limit your ability to remain mobile. Limit your bug out items to essentials only, and don’t pack too many gadgets!
Our bug out bag checklist is built with the average person in mind, but please remember, knowledge is key in a survival situation, so you may also need to brush up on that if you want the best chance at survival.
One last note before we get into the bug out bag checklist – buy your bug out bag after your have bought all your gear! You should find a bag that suits what you have, not the other way around.
Complete Bug Out Bag Checklist
Water and Hydration
Food and Food Prep
– Energy/Granola Bars (6 of these)
– Porridge (3 meals worth, just put it in a food bag)
– MRE as a backup (1 of these)
– Pasta (3 meals worth, either lunch of dinner)
– Rice (3 meals worth, either lunch of dinner)
– Baked beans (3 meals worth, either lunch of dinner added to your rice of pasta)
– Some Sauce for your rice, or pasta
– Metal Cup/Canteen Cook Set
– Pot Scrubber
– Portable Stove – Alcohol stoves are great! Remember to bring fuel. Meths is best
– Light weight micro fleece
– Long sleeve shirt
– Merino Wool Hiking Socks
– Medium Weight fleece
– Hat (Wooly/baseball cap, depending on climate)
– Rain Jacket
– Waterproof trousers
– Working Gloves